10.23.2006

Lovely Lullaby.

When I was a little girl, my mother started a new job at night and could no longer sing me to sleep.
“maMa!” I wailed I always put more emphasis on the last ma; “I can’t go to sleep without hearing you sing to me!”
“Mija” my mother would say, “you are growing up into a big girl, and I need my new job. I know it is hard for you to change so I will arrange for the stars to sing you to sleep tonight. They will start very quietly as the sun goes down, and then one by one they will lift their voices to the song of the night.”
Just the same way they come out at night, I thought to myself.
“I will also ask that the grasshoppers chirp in time to help the stars. They need help with rhythm sometimes.” My mother continued, “I wondered if the fireflies would put on a light show to ease your tired eyes. I could also ask the tulips in my garden to send a sweet perfume to relax your sleepy mind.”
“But who will kiss me good night?”
“I will ask the wind to blow a soft gentle breeze through your window. To tussle your hair and carry my kisses from me to your cheeks. For though I will be working in a building far away, I will sing to the stars, so that they will know the words. This I do for my little one because I love her so.”

No comments:

Post a Comment