9.22.2011

Nine Months

          I never expected to be happy with Trevor. He was only supposed to be a bed buddy that wouldn't be a security risk. With nine months of tight security, that makes this the longest adult relationship I've ever had. As I lay with my back pressed against his, all I can think about is the report from Max and the Girls.
*                  *                  *
          After the dinner celebrating my new ally, I had a private debriefing with April, May, June and Max in my private room.
          "I stayed at the main bar to scope things out." May started. "June, April, an Max brought the target upstairs."
          "Were you able to get his coordinates?" I asked as I queued star charts on the screen built into the wall.
          "Yeah, he's on Chimera Moon, Sector 73." Piped June
          "That's good," I zoomed the map to the right coordinates, "I've got contacts there that will help us slip in under the radar. Do we have measures in place to keep him... occupied, until we get there?"
          Max smiled at me. "You're gonna love this bit, darlin'. We get the bloke up to the room, and he starts spilling his guts `fore we even close the door."
          "Says he been angling for this job for a while, played up some fake blood oath against Max." Max smiled as April continued. "He says he hadn't been with the organization long. He was hoping to trade info for a spot on the ship. He'd heard of rumors about the kind of cargo that a reputable ship, like the Cutlass, would carry."
          We'd been smuggling people in and out of the different zones and planets for over a year now. "Does he know anything?"
          "Nah. Just the rumor we started. It's all over the colonized zone that we traffic skin. No one suspects that it's a humanitarian endeavor."
          "Good. That's one thing that continues to work in our favor. So what info does he have to trade?" I pull the schedule for the next few months up to start figuring where to wiggle things around.
          "He had two things that might be worth it; if they pan out." Max took a swig from the bottle that seemed to be permanently attached to his hand. "First, and this one I figure is worth it, he has insider info on the organization that was hired for this job. Including the fact that another hired gun has been dispatched to take care of you."
          "That figures. May did your spidey sense ping on anything at The Nines?"
          "Nope. There were a few tough cookies in there, but no one was out for any of us."
          "It could be a trap." April said bluntly. "He was sent after the crew of the Cutlass, either to kill us, or lead more to us. Either way, whoever paid for this gets what they want."
          "Could be, which leads me back to my earlier question. How are we keeping him in place?" I found myself drumming my fingers on the desk we were seated around.
          "Like I said, you'll love it. Lancer did us a favor." Max grinned that demon grin of his, then continued. "Seems one of Lancer's pals is on Chimera Moon, Sector 78. And it's no skin off his nose to head over and pound on a sad sack of a hitman. Especially" Max starts cackling here, "since he's some kind of police force there."
          "He griped about the paper work involved in a joint jurisdiction maneuver, but he was chomping at the bit to get the guy." June added.
          "Possibly means some kind of promotion for him." May offered.
          "Likely, the bum will spill his guts to the authorities on Chimera. Then after he gets processed, we pick him up and get the last half of his offer from him." Max continued.
          "What was that, by the way?"
          "He didn't give all the details. Mainly cause we didn't believe the first half of what he told us." Max chuckled. "Get this, he said that the slug boats from Earth, were gonna be killed off." He swigged from his bottle again. "And that he knew exactly everyone involved, plus how someone was planning to get rid of the others behind this Seawall gig." At this point the girls started laughing as well.
          I regretted letting them dinner in my private room while the rest of the crew witnessed my talk with the young Hawkins. It meant they didn't know that Seawall was the real deal. They couldn't fathom that one killer could possibly have qualms with mass murder; with genocide one the scale of a galaxy.
          I took a deep breath. "We'll drop everything and get to Chimera. He's telling the truth."
*                  *                  *
          I talked it over later that night with Trevor.
          "So, there's a conspiracy to kill off a third of humanity." He held up one finger. "There's a power play by one of those involved to wipe out the others behind the scheme." Another finger. "There's a half Corane who says he's been given some kind of important task, that somehow involves you." Third finger. "Lastly, someone in the Bernatelli family has a connection somehow to the Corane." Forth finger. "I'm still trying to decide if there's any more to add to this." He looks up at me, and I can feels the gears in his head cranking. It's at this moment that I realize he's more than a low-risk fling. "You ever heard of the ancient Chinese Curse, that most people wouldn't wish on their enemies?" I shook my head no. "It's basically, May you have an interesting life." He smiles that wide joyful smile of his. "Back when I joined your crew, I knew my life would be interesting. I never knew just how interesting it'd get."
          I leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Never a dull moment. I wouldn't have it any other way."
          Nine months is a long time. That's long enough to start a brand new life, old school style.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Brings a better understanding to the dynamic of the group, however, I was not expecting a romantic attachment. I think things are going to be so much fun when Sunshine connects with them - maybe she can take lessons in badassery and stellar one-liners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No body was expecting this relationship. He was supposed to be just a "safe" lay.
    Agreed on the Sunshine meet-up.
    I'm flattered that you think I write badass enough to teach it to others.

    ReplyDelete